Home History
History of Saran
City History

Various hypothesis have been put forward about the origin of the name SARAN. General Cunningham suggested that Saran was earlier known as SARAN or asylum which was a name given to a stupa (Pillar) built by emperor Ashoka. Another view holds that the name SARAN has been derived from SARANGA- ARANYA or the deer forest, the district being famous for its wide expanses of forest and deer in prehistoric times. The earliest authentic historical fact or record concerning this district may perhaps be related to 898 A.D which suggest that the village of Dighwara dubauli in Saran had supplied a copper plate issued in the reign of king Mahendra paldeva.

 

In ancient days , Modern  Saran Division, formed a part of KOSALA country. The history of Saran Division is bound to be history of  Kosala which included portions other than present limit of Saran Division. The kingdom of Kosala  was bounded on the west  by Panchala, by the river  Sarpika(sai)  in the south, on the east  by Gandak and  on the north by Nepal . The Kosala  consisted  of modern Faizabad, Gonda, Basti, Gorakhpur, Deoria in UP and Saran in Bihar.The historical background of the district- as available in the 'Ain-E-Akbari records Saran as one of the six Sarkars( Revenue Divisions) constituting the province of Bihar.At the time of grant of Diwani to the East India company in 1765, there were eight Sarkars including Saran and Champaran.


The historical background of the district- as available in the 'Ain-E-Akbari records Saran as one of the six Sarkars( Revenue Divisions) constituting the province of Bihar, At the time of grant of Diwani to the East India company in 1765, there were eight Sarkars including Saran and Champaran. These two were later combined to form a single unit named Saran. Saran(along with Champaran) was included in the Patna Division when the Commissioner's Divisions were set up in 1829. It was separated from Champaran in 1866 when it (Champaran) was constituted into a separate district. Saran was made a part of Tirhut Division when latter was created in 1908. By this time there were three subdivisions in this district namely Saran, Siwan and Gopalganj. In 1981 each subdivision of the old Saran district became an independent district and constituted part of Saran Division.


Chapra district is lying between 25°-39’ and 26°-14’N and 84°-23’ and 85°-12’ E. Siwan district is bounded on the west by the Gorakhpur district of Uttar Pradesh, on the North and North-West by the Gopalganj district, On the East and South-East by the Sadar Sub-division and on the South by the river Gogra. Gopalganj lying  between 26°-12’ and 26°-39’ N and 83°-54’ and 84°-55’E with an area of 786 Square miles. It was bounded on the East by the Gandak river, on the South by the Siwan  , on the north by Gorakhpur districts in Uttarpradesh. The Gandak forms the dividing line with vaishali and Muzaffarpur district in the east. To the west of Saran lies district of Siwan and the district of Balia in Uttar Pradesh, the Ghaghra constituting a natural boundary between Saran and Ballia.

 

" 6 kos ( Devnagri unit of measurement for distance ) of area towards north, east and west from the bank of the river Ganga and Ghaghara (Saryug) upto their sangam at sonpur starting from the ashrams of Gautam rishi at Revelganj (Ahilya Asthan) and Dadhichi rishi (Dahiyawa) is known as CHHAH + PARA = CHHAPRA.

Meaning of chhapra: Chha (6) - in hindi indicates 6 bad characters / abstracts, para - stands for separate/ far

6 bads :

1) Kama

2) Krodh (Anger)

3) Maddh (Alcoholics)

4) Moh (Affection)

5) Lobh (greediness )

6) Ahamkar (Ego / Arrogance).

[This paragraph is contributed by Mr. Naveen Kumar] ".

 

 

 
Valid CSS!
Copyright © 2009 Chapra.in. All Rights Reserved.